Wednesday 20 December 2017

Day 4 - 354 -- Take a Break

A break at mid-day made the day that much more pleasant. The day began with a province-wide black ice warning. A late morning walk to the post office showed that there were still hidden spots of ice along the road and sidewalks. After mailing the parcels today, I met a friend from campus for lunch. It seemed that many others had the same idea -- there were  five tables of university employees, including the president, and at least two others that came in for retail purchases. <smile> Everyone must be feeling the time to breathe for a change.

Going out for lunch -- it sounds simple. In past jobs, it was something that happened regularly with colleagues and visitors. Having the flexibility to include this social act in one's life is something that can be taken for granted. Many jobs have shorter lunch breaks or require that people work through the traditional lunch times. I find that even if I have the time to run out for lunch, it can be difficult to find someone else with the time. The whole goal of going out for lunch is the social aspect of sharing food and conversations -- commensality. So, when we find the time, it feels rather decadent to go out. <smile>

At lunch, my friend used the lyrics from two holiday songs in her conversation. It made me giggle. I chose one of those songs for the blog today. Many covers exist. I chose one by a Canadian singer that has been featured in the blog several times. It is a song I remember from my childhood, but this version is more recent.  Enjoy!

FYI -- this singer did a duet of this song with Elvis that forced her to use her lower registers well, but missed on the higher end.

Silver Bells -- Anne Murray


No comments:

Post a Comment