Friday 15 December 2017

Day 4 - 349 -- Hope

Woke way too early today -- about an hour before the alarm. This isn't uncommon on exam days. I certainly don't want to be late when all those people will be waiting to write this thing. Today was the last day of the exam period and everyone in the room was writing their last for the term and for at  least one student, the last exam of their undergrad career. Most had plans to head home in the next 24 hours. There was a line up for the bus out of town this afternoon -- a smaller group than earlier in the week but a lot of people and luggage. The sun was shining, though the air stayed below freezing all day. The moderate wind carried a big windchill. Walking across campus in mid-afternoon, made me question my decision not to wear my parka today -- I was warm except for my upper legs which the parka covers. It wasn't to be too cold (except for the wind) so I refused to acknowledge that winter weather might be upon us.

It was great to see the smiling faces as people left the exam today and to hear the wishes for a good holiday and break. After that was over, I had lunch with friends -- something that often makes me smile. Today I laughed and was semi-silly. It felt great. I'd rather be in a reasonable place when grading this weekend, so I hope the slight up-tick in mood can hold.

While thinking of the stresses and challenges many face over the holidays, a song by a Canadian singer/songwriter came to mind. The lyrics carry a message of hope. Enjoy!

Maybe This Christmas -- Ron Sexsmith


No comments:

Post a Comment