Saturday 9 December 2017

Day 4 - 342 -- Celebrating the Day

I woke much earlier than expected -- about 4 hours before the alarm. I didn't really ever get back to sleep in a way that I wasn't aware that I wasn't sleeping well. So, the day began unexpectedly. Our morning meeting went very smoothly and we were done ahead of schedule. That allowed me some extra time to gather things to bring home for working on grading and preparation for second term. I didn't actually feel well throughout the day, so I headed home in the early afternoon and laid down to rest and promptly fell asleep. I slept most of the afternoon, and then felt that I could maybe stop into the building pot luck for a visit. I'd left my contribution with a friend in case I didn't get back.

I'm so happy I chose to go. Fewer people were present than in past years, but we were no less merry and the food was plentiful even though heavy on the appetizers and desserts. There was more than enough for everyone. It was great to see some retired folks who I don't see as often. Several grad students attended so it wasn't all older folks <smile>. I did eat a bit of everything and felt somewhat better having done that. We'll see how the weekend unfolds. I'm hoping the yuckiness stems from being overtired and not some nasty virus.

I was reminded later in the day that it was the anniversary of the death of John Lennon. I do recall that day and feeling "dazed and confused" as Elton John so aptly sang. That made the song for the day so much easier, though I will share two versions -- the original and another by a Canadian singer/songwriter. Each singer gives their own feelings to the song so while the same, they are quite different. Enjoy!

Happy Christmas/War is Over  -- John Lennon and Yoko Ono



Happy Christmas/War is Over -- Sarah McLachlan (Music Outreach project)


No comments:

Post a Comment