Saturday 2 December 2017

Day 4 - 336 -- Traditions

Tradition generally brings visions of older activities passed through generations. Yet, even those had to be newer at some point in time. Family holiday traditions may be only decades old or they may be something new. Making new traditions can give new meaning to events we look forward to for holidays. Since all indications point to the Christmas season being fully upon us, I've been thinking of traditions from my family background. As a small child we'd have Christmas day dinner at my paternal grandparents' home, where they still had kids at home. Christmas Eve dinner was always with my maternal grandparents. New Years dinner would see both sides of the family at our house. After the large turkey dinner, mom would make turkey a la king and biscuits -- something I do to this day, though my turkey dinner consists of a turkey breast only since there are far fewer to feed here.

Since my grandparents and parents have passed, newer traditions found their way into my seasonal festivities. Mom and I would go for Asian food on Christmas Eve and I still try to fit that in either for Christmas or New Years. Movies that we'd often watch are still on my list to watch throughout the month of December. Many are older ones but I have included some newer favourites. I try to bake a Christmas slice that mom or grandma made, but still have to do the fruit cake -- current job hours make that one more difficult to manage.

Tonight the movie I will watch is tied for my favourite Christmas movie with one from childhood. The main song from this newer tradition is shared here tonight. The young woman singing has an amazing talent for one so young (at the time). Enjoy!

All I want for Christmas is You -- Love actually (sung by Olivia Olson -- about 11 years of age)


No comments:

Post a Comment