Friday 13 April 2018

Day 5 - 103 -- Oversight Encountered

The day began with slush falling from the sky. By late morning it was a mix of rain and lesser bits of snow. Overall, the skies remained grey all day with more drizzle expected into tomorrow. At work, my focus was off a bit, like the clouds invaded my head, but some bits of work got done. I set up the final exam and while explaining the sections to the group, I realized that I hadn't passed out exam booklets (lined paper) for students to write their responses. Being in a room with everyone settled with exams in hand, I couldn't leave to get the booklets. So, I e-mailed three people in hopes someone was by their computer. A colleague did come to the rescue. I wasn't sure whether I should blame my tiredness or Friday the 13th for this event <smile>. I was just glad that it wasn't an evening or Saturday exam when no one would be around. In the meantime, the students worked on the multiple choice questions using a computer sheet, so they weren't sitting there doing nothing <smile>.

Forgetting occurs when overtired, distracted or too many things demand attention. I've felt that way for a while now. While work, world and personal stuff independently create demand for processing space, when they are compounded it can be difficult to deal well with anything. Coping strategies involve parking something for a later date, but that may become impossible as multiple factors argue for attention. Even dreams are infiltrated, further disrupting sleep. And so goes the vortex.

Standing in front of the class today and asking their forgiveness for my oversight reminded me of a couple of lines from a song -- "So excuse me forgetting, but these things I do"  -- from a great music and lyrics duo. The version shared is from later in the career. Enjoy!

Your Song -- Elton John

No comments:

Post a Comment