Wednesday 4 April 2018

Day 5 - 94 -- Commemorating Respect and Love

Many people are remembered on this date. In Canada, it is Refugee Rights Day -- a day to remember the 1985 Supreme Court decision that noted the Charter of Rights and Freedoms protects the basic human rights of refugees in the country. This also is the 90th anniversary of the birth of Maya Angelou. Her words spoke volumes to the marginalized. My favourite poem still is "I Rise." It was a delight to see the Google Doodle use this to commemorate the date. Today the world remembers the assassination of Martin Luther King, Jr. As a visionary, the "I have a dream' speech noted his belief that the world would change for the better over time.

Eloquent words were the tools of Angelou and MLK. Two quotes that mean a lot to me are shared here. 

Dr. King believed in the power of love to change the world. He noted,
Darkness cannot drive out darkness, only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate, only love can do that.
This spoke to me about the need to treat people well, even those who want to push you down. 

Maya Angelou stated, 
 Music was my refuge. I could crawl into the space between the notes curling my back to the loneliness.
 These words make me smile. While I use music to help me contextualize the world around me, it does feel like a refuge from the negativity found in some days. Music also provides me with a place to celebrate the small -- or larger -- triumphs of the days.

The two people and one legal decision that have this one day in common all deal with the need to recognize the importance of one person. Whether friend or foe, all have rights and should be treated with respect. I found my head going in many directions for a song today. I did manage to settle on one song with lyrics that focus on putting love at the centre -- and notes MLK's death. Enjoy!

Pride: In the name of love -- U2


No comments:

Post a Comment