Wednesday 4 July 2018

Day 5 - 185 -- Disrupted, Disturbed, Dislocated

Where to begin? It was a day of altered plans. Disruptions appeared at every turn. I began by heading out to get new fluorescent bulbs for the kitchen light which ceased to function yesterday evening. I headed straight home with the things only to find that the sidewalk replacement crew had placed cones in front of my driveway. I noticed the neighbours were out, so quickly parked in their drive, left the precious lights in the kitchen and headed off to work. When I returned home in the evening, I couldn't get in the drive even if I moved the cones. They dug up the old sidewalk and had frames in place to pour cement tomorrow. This is not what the contractor had noted. He was going to do up to the house next door first and then move to the next two yards. Somewhere his plans changed and so did mine. My neighbours kindly let me park behind them for the next couple of days while the cement cures. Given the humidity, this may be weeks off. <smile>

Driving from home to the office meant taking a different route due to the street fair on Main Street. Many other people had the same idea so were using my street with all the construction to try to bypass the blocked street. Some even backed up and turned in the middle of the street when the equipment closed one lane for mere seconds. One of these individuals nearly backed into me as I left my driveway. Wouldn't be the first time someone backed into me as they drove in reverse down a major road. <sigh> So -- armed with the knowledge that the bozo factor was high today for in-town driving, I set off while trying to watch in all directions.

The weather was another disruption. Temperatures soared past the forecast numbers and the humidity made things feel in the 40s again today (well over 100 F). When I got home, the house was even hotter and wetter feeling than outside. The dehumidifier filled in about 12 hours. I put a fan on in the living room where the furry one was stretched out. The basement is cooler, but he chooses not to head that way often. He is enjoying the fan and I'm enjoying the one by the bed. I will head out earlier in the morning to do the errands on Main Street and then back to the office to continue the clearing and decluttering -- again trying to find order among disorder. Thankfully, the office has a/c so it is bearable -- still humid and warm, but not like outside the window.

As my plans were thwarted numerous times today, I hope to find a place and time (as in soon) with fewer needs to change plans. An older song lyric fits the altered plans well. It has been covered by many smooth male vocalists from the 1940s to 1950s. I got it down to two and just had to do a mental coin toss to choose. Both were great recordings so either would have worked. Hope this one works for you. Enjoy!

I Guess I'll have to Change my Plan -- Bobby Darin


No comments:

Post a Comment