Wednesday 25 July 2018

Day 5 - 205 -- Unexplained Occurrences

Two concepts describe today well -- parallelism and serendipity. An interesting pair, no? <smile>. The morning began with a loud banging and vibration that jolted me from a deep sleep about 6 AM. I couldn't find anything that might have created this disruption, so I tried to no avail, to go back to sleep. While making breakfast about 90 minutes later, I still felt so groggy. Making breakfast, I got out a teabag and put it into the cereal bowl. Just not a good start to the day. I mentioned this at work and found others who had awkward starts to the day. One put a top on backwards. Another was hanging laundry to dry in the wind when the clothes line broke dropping the clean clothes onto the lawn covered in the dew-kissed clippings from the mower of the previous evening. Clothes were put into the washer to remove the clippings when the power went off. My first task at work was to look up something needed for a report only to receive the message that the database was not available likely due to incorrect credentials or the expiration of our paid access. Two phone calls later, this had been rectified. I had not been the first to report the inability to use this valued resource. So -- Tuesday seemed to equal Monday with parallel silliness occurring in different lives.

After work a group of us went out for supper to celebrate a birthday and a recent accomplishment. The company was wonderful and eating in air-conditioned comfort helped me to consume something a bit more balanced and exciting than canned fish and salad <smile>. On the short walk home, I was smiling and enjoying the breeze that felt almost cooling. Today, again, was hotter than yesterday -- a trend which seems set to continue for another couple of days. As I was approaching a crosswalk, I noted two people crossing the street perpendicular to my path. A fleeting thought made me think they looked like someone I know -- something that occurs often in adults by middle-age. On second glance, I realized it was the actual couple -- a colleague and her husband that I haven't seen in person since they moved to Ontario about 17 years ago. I see photos on social media and knew they were visiting family in the area, but running into them was serendipitous. They were on their way to a local pub and I joined them to chat and catch up. I got home much later than planned, but for very good reason. It was such fun talking about what we are all up to these days.

The song today deals with the latter concept of serendipity. The alternative rock sound brings relaxed feelings. Enjoy!

Serendipity -- The Cranberries


No comments:

Post a Comment