Sunday 22 July 2018

Day 5 - 202 -- Saturday Highlights

Another mundane Saturday. I worked away at the usual housework with the usual break mid-afternoon. I feel like not much was accomplished even though I seemed busy with things for much of the time. I did realize later in the day that I'd missed a community event celebrating local foods and community gardening programs. That made me sad as it was something I'd looked forward to, but got so involved in the cleaning that this was missed.

Local foods have again been dominating my meals since this is the major production time of year in this part of the world. This week I've had the most succulent strawberries for my bedtime snacks. Sugar snap peas appeared as a vegetable side dish, crunchy snack and part of a great curry stir-fry.  Garlic scapes added to stir fries, vegetables, salads and pizza toppings. It is wonderful to have this bounty grown close to home. It brings a bright spot to the days to know where the foods came from and, in some cases, who grew them. Being in touch with the food system in this way can help us to understand some of the unsustainable parts of the expectations when going to the grocery store. It can also help acknowledge the work that goes into getting the food we eat from farm to market.

Last week, a friend (who enjoys puns) with a local garden box containing sugar snap peas, stated, "Give peas a chance." I responded with "whirled peas".  Just a brief moment of whimsy <smile>. Today it made me think of a few songs that deal with the concept of peace -- something I still struggle with at times.  So -- I'm sharing a song that focuses on opening oneself up to the potential. The singer-songwriter is a favourite of mine. Enjoy! 


Note: song and video were recorded at the Queen Elizabeth Hotel in Montreal 49 years ago. 


No comments:

Post a Comment