Thursday 26 July 2018

Day 5 - 207 -- Time to Leave

In the middle of last night, I thought of getting up and moving the furry one and I to a motel. When I woke at 5 AM and couldn't get back to sleep, I considered online shopping for an air conditioner that would fit the goofy windows of this house -- still not convinced such things exist. The heat was horrific. It had been about 33C (91F) in the bedroom -- the kitchen was a balmy 28C (82F). Overnight the temperatures dipped to 30C (86F) and 26C (79F), respectively. The humidity level was about 65%, so the air felt much warmer. Needless to say the day began poorly with discomfort and left me feeling a bit angry and at times sorry for myself <sigh>. There is no end in sight for a cooler, drier air mass to arrive when looking at the forecast. We might have a single day of drier air, but it will take several days to get the house back to a livable temperature. The key is to have cooling overnight along with less humid air. A friend noted that this was sure to happen saying "and then it will be winter." So, I'm not the only one with little hope or positive thoughts.

Summer is generally hotter than I find comfortable. Heat waves that involve tropical air arriving on the Gulf Stream make the world uncomfortable for most people I encounter. Hanging out in malls, libraries and motor vehicles can help to cool down temporarily, but heading back to a non-air-conditioned abode will quickly make people overheat again. This can be dangerous for a number of people. It is a time of year, that we need to check on our neighbours to make sure they are OK. As we age, the ability to detect thirst and to maintain body temperature diminishes. Infants and people with chronic illness can also be at increased risk of a heat injury. Companion animals can suffer in heat waves, too. For all of us, staying hydrated and cooler can help avoid major problems.

Thinking of the weather that has come to visit made me think of a guest who overstays their welcome. The song that ran through my mind made me smile today -- something I hadn't done as often as usual. It is a fun song. Enjoy!

So Long, Farewell -- The Sound of Music


No comments:

Post a Comment