Thursday 19 July 2018

Day 5 - 200 -- Major Disappointment

This morning the painters deemed the wood still too wet to paint so they moved on to the porch -- tearing it apart. It needed replacement as the wood had sections of rot that could create damage should someone's foot break through. I brought out a large plant pot and shovel and asked that they remove the irises and gently cut the ferns on either side of the steps. We discussed working around the two hostas for the second time. All explained and repeated back to me, I went on my way to work. When I got home tonight, I was stunned to see the porch gone -- it looked so bare. Worse was that half of one hosta has been removed -- not cut, pulled. The ferns were likely pulled as well, but where the stump should be there is a thick layer of gravel. I expect these perennials will not return in future years. The irises were in a pot on the back porch, so I added some new topsoil to the pot and tried to tuck them in well. I hope they survive. This year looked to be the one where they would actually bloom.

When I got back in the house, I just cried. The landscaping in the yard is something I have worked to maintain for two decades. To have the two beds the width of house destroyed without full need makes me angry. The tenuous trust that was there for these workers is now fully gone. I rent so I can't change them or charge them for damage. The yard has gotten compliments because it is pretty -- well was pretty. The only thread I'm hanging onto is that perhaps friends will be splitting plants in the fall and next spring and would be willing to share bits of things with me to try to refurbish the space somehow. I'm not even sure I can look at the men tomorrow -- I don't trust myself not to say something inappropriate. <sigh>

A song that meets the deep-seated sadness I feel tonight was difficult to find. The one I chose, may sound trite to some, but the words of the title and other lyrics do say what I was looking for today -- something to reflect these emotions. Enjoy!

(Hey won't you play) Another Somebody Done Somebody Wrong Song -- B.J Thomas


No comments:

Post a Comment