Tuesday 17 July 2018

Day 5 - 198 -- lacking Focus

The day began with the sound of sanders on the side of the house -- prep for the painting -- the quieter phase of the project <smile>. A walk across campus at lunch today took me to see the Prime Minister speaking briefly at a barbecue gathering. An interesting event. Back at the office I got a few tasks completed. The writing project had me feeling anxious and flitting from one thing to the next rather than getting anything completed. I had two questions for colleagues, which turned into much longer conversations. My lack of focus affected others in their work plans -- no where near my goal for the day <sigh>.

Being unfocused today could be from the heat, lack of decent sleep or the usual muddled feeling when I'm writing things in my head before they come out on paper -- or a combination of all three. It is stressful to be unable to concentrate on a task and find the day over with me not finishing the major project -- just some bits of work. Feelings of guilt surface on such days. Learning to recognize such days before they get out of control might help me to use some techniques to help with focus. I find popping in the ear buds can help as can shutting off e-mail notifications. Tomorrow can bring improved productivity and help me get the ideas out of the head and onto the screen or paper. I'll begin with trying to get a good sleep and go from there.

A song title that made me smile today is shared here. It uses a sport metaphor to address the lack of focus I encountered through the day. Enjoy!

Getcha Head in the Game -- High School Musical


No comments:

Post a Comment