Thursday 11 July 2019

Day 6 - 191 -- Power of a Smile

I noticed the power of a smile again today. I was worrying about numerous things as I headed out to do an errand. The person behind the counter was familiar and has the most amazing smile. I noted that I needed some of that today. I try to laugh and find absurdities when things don't go as expected. Yet I fear I've smiled less recently as my mind gets so wrapped up in itself. When the errand was completed, I felt much better. We'd had a fun conversation that made me smile -- and made plans to get together later for a chat. When worry returned briefly again, a good friend offered to help -- totally unexpected and so appreciated. Later in the day, I encountered another acquaintance who is a true curmudgeon. I cracked a joke and he just looked at me without a hint of a smile, which I said and had to watch carefully for the tiniest of smiles.

Life doesn't go according to our plan. As I've said, I try to see the positives or at least the absurd. Others seem stuck in a rut of constant sighing and seeing only negatives -- even inventing negatives where there are none. Encountering a person like this, made me realize that I'd been doing some of that recently. I don't want to be that kind of person -- always angry, frustrated, put upon. I will do my best to catch myself on those days when things are less than perfect. Taking time to find three positives in such a day can help. For even the darkest of days have some moments of light waiting to be recognized.

An older song entered my head when thinking about smiles today. The lyrics point to the infectious nature of a smile. Many covers of this song exist and I enjoy several of them. The version chosen to share today is a newer swing style cover by a wonderful Canadian vocalist. Enjoy!

When You're Smiling -- Michael Bublé




No comments:

Post a Comment