Thursday 25 July 2019

Day 6 - 205 -- Wildlife Sighting

I accomplished a few major things on the list for the day, but several others will not see the same fate. I suspect this is due to a couple of other things that I added to the activities today. Just after noon, I headed out to get groceries. I did most of this at a single store, when I'd originally planned to go to two. Fatigue played a role here. No enthusiasm remained once I'd left store #1. Nothing else on the grocery list is a necessity, so I won't feel stressed about missing that visit. I still hope to complete on further list item by searching through some photos -- the paper kind --  for ones to scan and send to friends. That should fit into the evening hours.

While at the grocery store, I chatted with my next door neightbour. We don't see each other often, other than to wave as we leave our driveways with the cars. <smile> She told me that there had been a bear sighting in the neighbourhood. That got my attention, since we'd just been noting that life was moving along in a usual monotonous way. I've never heard of a bear in the middle of town. People on the edge of town or into the rural areas see them often. This is a first for me. It was likely an adolescent that was sleeping on the front lawn of a house across the street and 3 houses up. The home owners were away at the time. The sighting was early morning about dawn and there was no further reports by the time the neighbours began their days. Our street is about 3-4 blocks in length. Within less than a block of either end lie a brook and a river -- common freeways for wildlife making their way through their home. It is most likely this fellow came from the river to the east, which is closer to the forested rural areas. It is common to see these creature on the other side of the river behind the hospital and former mother house for an order of nuns (who moved to a new digs last year). This exciting sighting <smile> made me reconsider what I'd felt was a commonplace month. I need to look around a bit more to see the exciting things in my immediate surround.

A song came to mind when I heard the bear news. I smiled when I realized that the lyrics also fit my choice to not go to store #2 for further supplies. I'm sharing a newer version. Enjoy!

Bare Necessities -- Bill Murray & Kermit Ruffins (from Jungle Book)




No comments:

Post a Comment