Saturday 20 July 2019

Day 6 - 199 -- Whose Serving Who?

Today involved many short trips to do errands -- banking, bills and groceries.  I found that points hadn't been added to the account after purchasing things that should have given about a $4 rebate. Today customer service told me that they could do nothing. I had to call the points company. I was told the number was on my receipt. I asked that they highlight that for me. It wasn't there. Well, then it must be on the back of my card. I still haven't looked. In the past this has been rectified at the customer service desk. There was a relative newbie operating that service today -- someone who did not have the information necessary to 'serve' customers. The only way I could deal with this in my mind would be to return the items and then repurchase them. What a pain that would be. I'd already made a second trip out to the store. To be honest, I was so frustrated, I chose to just leave it and write something online about the lack of service. 

Other encounters today renewed my faith in those in service positions. I've worked there and understand the 'power over' felt by customers, too. A smile and checking with a supervisor when things get tricky really help. Even if there really was nothing that could be done without resorting to my cumbersome solution, if it had been handled with a degree of assurance I would have trusted the information more. Training of new staff appeared sadly lacking in this situation. Even if tasks are simple, the need for clear understanding of customer service should be instilled in all workers. I am not there to conform to some arcane code, but they are there to assist me to purchase what they provide for sale. From that viewpoint, customers have far more power than many feel. I know folks who won't return food in a restaurant or correct pricing at the register in a store. They must feel disempowered -- like a guest at the store who shouldn't be rude to their host. That doesn't mean I want to be rude -- far from it. But I do have the right to get the product and service that I pay for. 

A song that seemed to fit the musings today contains lyrics that borrow heavily from many pop culture statements. It addressed the need to become empowered and not concede to those trying to hold power over others. Enjoy! 

Roar -- Katy Perry


No comments:

Post a Comment