Monday 22 July 2019

Day 6 - 202 -- Music and Movies

I love music, which should be no surprise to anyone here. I also enjoy movies. When the two come together, what more could I hope for. There are movies about music or musical personages. Here, the music is expected and focus lies with the actor playing the musical role. What really surprises me are movies where previously recorded songs becomes a key character. One movie that did this was  The Big Chill. That mixed a number of Motown and other music of previous decades -- the soundtrack of the college years of the characters. Another movie of this genre that has become a favourite of mine is Love, Actually. Again the movie would be much different without these particular songs. Directors spend much time listening to music to find just the right song for different scenes. I listen to the movies for the music as much as the acting when I re-watch my favourites. The soundtracks become a unique 'mixed tape'.

While doing household accounts today with a movie (Sleepless in Seattle) in the background, one song caught my attention. It is one my mother and I sang when I was a toddler. Our rendition was much more traditional than the one shared here. This one fits the style of the artist so well -- very bluesy. Enjoy!

Bye Bye Blackbird -- Joe Cocker


No comments:

Post a Comment