Tuesday 6 August 2019

Day 6 - 217 -- Making Headway?

I tackled more of the stuff piled around me today. I did a major part yesterday and another one today. It took longer than I expected both times, which indicates that there is more there than I realized. There is a thing called 'clutter blindness' that is an actual scale. I know I'm higher on the scale as I tolerate piles better than many people. Now this is my way of filing. Piles of papers topically releated to a course or project have been part of my life forever. When those get out of hand, and a new pile needs to be added to avoid an existing one falling off the edge of the desk, I should take note and resort the existing piles. Some days, there just isn't time or more importantly, energy. So, I'm trying to resort, expunge and recycle to reduce the size and number of stashes.

What makes me wonder about myself is this -- when a major dent is made in the whole mess, why do I just see what I didn't get done today? The cleared bits are evident, yet I just see the next one to tackle. Shouldn't there be a mini-celebration or a feeling of satisfaction to see the accomplishment of the day? I'd like that. Does the decluttering affect my usual level of clutter blindness so that all I see is what remains to be tackled? Perhaps I need to spend more time to get more done all at once. Sadly, that isn't always available. I'll continue with the little chunks as I can and things will get done. I've not lived anywhere as an adult as long as I've lived here. Moving was a great tool to reduce the extras. A friend noted that regularly putting a bag out to donate, recycle or discard is forward movement. I am trying this out in hopes that it will bring some gratification and reduce guilt over not getting to the storage of stuff. I'll let you know how it goes.

A song lyric that fit my feelings today stated what I'd asked myself. The overall story told by the lyric is different than what I'm feeling -- addressing wanting more instead of only seeing more work ahead. Either way, the lyric (and title) sums up the question of the day. Enjoy!

Never Enough -- Loren Allred (from The Greatest Showman)


No comments:

Post a Comment