Wednesday 21 August 2019

Day 6 - 232 -- Musical Theatre Evening

Blistering hot sunny day, but with a breeze that made things feel drier and cooler. Being in the A/C helped more. A meeting helped me work through edits needed to one of the projects submitted at the end of last week. E-mails helped with another shorter piece so a revised version was sent to that co-author. the longer piece will need to be addressed tomorrow. Physically, things are much the same as yesterday. Appetite is off due to GI upsets. Only four hours sleep happened last night, so I hope tonight will be a bit better.

Let me tell you about the fun thing I did last night and last week. I went to another of the plays. I liked it so much I went back this week. Honky Tonk Blue tells the fictional story of a meeting of Hank Williams, Sr. and Patsy Cline. The actors are wonderful singers. The harmonies were wonderful and sometimes so delicate that they didn't detract from the "lonliness" of the Williams songs. Very cool. The female singer, who is also the playwright, brought tears to my eyes with her vocal range and power displayed for major Cline hits. The theatre was almost a sellout with only four or five seats vacant. Lots of older country fans were visible. One the way home after, the air felt moist, but cool and smelled a bit like fall. The sky was clear showing stars and planets. That helped ground me a bit, too.

Songs that I'd like to share include one recorded 58 years ago today and written by Willie Nelson. This and the second song shared demonstrate the power and range of Cline's voice. The third song is one that embodies the sad, lonely sound associated with Hank Williams.

Sweet Dreams  -- Patsy Cline


Crazy -- Patsy Cline



Lonesome whistle -- Hank Williams, Sr. 


No comments:

Post a Comment