Saturday 17 August 2019

Day 6 - 227 -- Music History Today

Friday -- the end of a longish feeling week. Little was accomplished on the work front today. I ran a few errands on Main Street and had several calls and visits to make around campus. I ended the day with friends on the deck of a the local pub. It was a ginger ale kind of day and I paired that with a lovely vegetable flatbread. We stayed chatting for a couple of hours. I met a new lab instructor who lives across the street from me. We had a good visit. She;s traveled a lot and worked at many universities. Sadly when I arrived home the next door neighbour had someone in cutting her grass and I arrived as he used the gas-trimmer on my ornamental grass -- just ready to bloom. I'd hoped to scatter the new seeds along the area dug up by sidewalk work last summer so the grass grew up closer to the sidewalk again. There are no fences between properties in this area, so the guy just kept going until he hit the gravel of my driveway. I did say a couple of things to him and he told me where the property line was -- believe me, I pointed to where the surveyor had left orange markers almost a meter west of where he was pointing. <sigh>

I did little in the evening other than wash my hair. I plan to head to bed early as I've had little sleep the past two nights and woke earlier than desired both mornings. Songs for today come from musical history that occurred on this date. The first song shared tonight was the debut single of the Monkees in 1966 and reached number one position on the charts in Canada and the USA. It was released on this date 53 years ago. The b-side of the release was Take a Giant Step. The second song shared today is one recorded by Elvis Presley, who died on this day in 1977. I was not far from where I sit in my home (for the past 21 years) when we heard the news on the car radio.  My parents, brother, a close family friend and I were driving the Cabot Trail that day. The selection from his huge recording catalogue is not one of the most well known. It comes from one of the movies and has been a favourite song of mine when covered by many artists.It has an enchanting melody. Enjoy!

Last Train to Clarksville -- The Monkees


Aloha Oe -- Elvis Presley

No comments:

Post a Comment