Thursday 22 August 2019

Day 6 - 233 -- Technological Visiting

Today was HOT! I worked a bit inside and had a good chat with a friend late in the afternoon. Last night I spoke with a good friend who is in Australia for sabbatical. The ability to video chat over long distances helps keep us in touch. What a huge change from the time of handwritten letters or short long distance calls. I remember being 2 hours down the highway from my parents and the evening rate (60% of day rate) was still 50-55 cents per minute!  That seems wild now, though my cell plan costs 45 cents per minute -- the plan doesn't have a long distance package since I use it rarely -- mostly just when travelling and I tend to text more than talk. many sci-fi shows and movies portrayed video conferencing and cell-like communication. I find it interesting that such things are used with little thought now.

OK -- so I'm showing my age here, I know <smile>. Most students on campus have not lived in a time without cell phones and went through adolescence with smart phones -- so they don't understand looking for a pay phone or only calling across country for big news. I think of my grandparents who traveled by horse and wagon to get to town and my grandmother flew to visit family in Ontario in her retirement years. That was a huge change in technology in a human life span. Changes through my life will (have been already?) greater than those she experienced. Definitely something to ponder.

Due to the heat, I decided to get take out for supper. While waiting for the order, a song I hadn't heard in so long played on the radio. I decided then that I'd share it here tonight. It doesn't fit with any theme of the day other than reflecting on the past -- where this song and the album it came from reside. The unmistakable vocals and guitar reminded me of being at university the first time. Enjoy!

Magic Man -- Heart (from Dreamboat Annie album)


No comments:

Post a Comment