Wednesday 14 August 2019

Day 6 - 225 -- Eviction Needed?

Today went fairly smoothly until late afternoon. Having the key to my new office, I headed over to measure for the filing cabinet. Now, two work orders from last month involved moving in a smaller desk and removing the older one. Then the floors could be cleaned and walls painted where needed. So, by now you may suspect that things haven't gone according to plan. When I opened the door, the office that had been empty at the end of June -- except for desk, book shelves and filing cabinet in the room -- was waist deep in stuff -- from the door to the window. I couldn't get past the doorway. Most of it looks like items that had been in the hallway on the day the former tenant had moved it all out. For whatever reason, he chose to refill part of the room with crazy stuff not all related to teaching and research.

With this spanner thrown into the works, the work order we organized yesterday for a move from my current office to the new office will not be able to be completed as hoped. I'd asked for end of next week to the end of the following week to give them a window to fit me into the crazy August schedule. The desk needs to be exchanged and the place cleaned and painted. That can't happen until the stuff is moved elsewhere. I left messages with two major offices with authority to plan the work orders and ready the room for a new tenant. I do hope that things will be relatively easy to do even though longer than planned. It is like dominoes -- when one piece moves others are allowed to move. I don't want to be mean, but the tenant moved to another office and is still storing stuff in their old office. Weird. If I don't move from my current office, another person will be without a space.

While feeling a bit petty, I managed to laugh when I thought about a song to fit the major event of the day. The conversational style of the lyrics fit much of what went through my head as I walked back up hill to my current office. Even the repetitiveness of the lyrics mimics my circular thinking of this impediment to the plans of several people. Enjoy!

Hit the Road Jack -- Ray Charles


No comments:

Post a Comment