Thursday 1 August 2019

Day 6 - 211 -- In the Spotlight

For two evenings in a row, I've attended the local summer theatre festival. They are mounting four plays this summer and I hope to get to each of these. So, now I'm halfway there <smile>. The first made me laugh but then it dragged a bit and the farce was overdone. Yes, I know that is what farce does, but this felt way over the top for me. I'm not a fan of farce, but this one could work well with some judicious editing. <smile>  two hours and forty minutes including the intermission is just too long. I got home at almost 11 PM. Tonight was a wonderful play delving into the family dynamics of an Indian family trying to arrange a marriage for their Canadian-born son. The alteration of values over generations that occur as a family acclimates to a new home was interesting to view in this two person play. While seated and waiting for the play to begin, the actress playing the mother circulated with a large plate of amazing vegetarian samosas. They were lovely and a bit on the hot spicy side, so I loved them even more. This play was 90 minutes without an intermission, so I was home before 10 PM tonight.

I love live theatre, and value every experience. Even those few that were not my favourites, had some redeeming qualities. Like all pitfalls in life, we can learn from what we didn't like and what we did, which can help us choose things we enjoy most. Understanding what caused us to feel more or less enamored requires some critical thought and self-awareness -- each important for navigating life. I learned more this week about aspects of farce that were more difficult to accept <smile>. This won't stop me from going to the amazing local theatre in the summer festival or the community players productions in the winter. I do love the theatre. <smile>

A song that came to mind while thinking through the shows of the past two evenings is from a Broadway musical. The lyrics discuss life as an actor. Enjoy!

Welcome to the Theatre -- Lauren Bacall 



No comments:

Post a Comment