Saturday 3 August 2019

Day 6 - 214 -- Nostalgia and a Movie

After a very long day at the office writing, I sent a draft of the article off last night. It has to sit in a folder for a while before I can look at it with fresh eyes and add the last few sentences needed. I slept poorly, though and found myself awake more than asleep until 4:30 AM! Needless to say, today was a quiet day and should be an early evening. The temperature was into the low 30s Celsius. I did a 30 minute walk to the drug store and then down Main Street to pick up a treat. There was one lonely cinnamon pinwheel sitting there. I promised to give it a good home <smile>.

Between household chores, I watched a movie I haven't' seen for a long time -- Out of Africa. The story of a strong woman who faced several major events with a degree of grace has often made me think. The ending is bittersweet and today left me with a subdued nostalgia-like feeling. I then recalled the first time I'd seen the movie. I was with two friends in a theatre in Winnipeg. It was the evening after I defended my masters thesis and we went out to eat and see the movie as a celebration. I remember how struck I was by the amazing aerial vistas of the plains and highland. The soundtrack was beautiful and accentuated the wistfulness of the story. If you haven't seen this, it is worth the time for the cinematography and character study it brings. Granted, it clearly shows the colonialism that the continent has yet to recover from. It does so in a patriarchal 19th C. British fashion. The main character addressed this attitude a few times throughout the movie. It is a period piece that shows sensibilities of the time.

John Barry wrote the beautiful score. I'm sharing two short pieces here tonight. One is the title theme and the second is the theme for the main character. Both have a lovely relaxing feel to them. Enjoy!

Out of Africa - main title theme


Out of Africa -- Karin's Theme




No comments:

Post a Comment