Monday 12 August 2019

Day 6 - 223 -- Sky Watching

The past few days, I've found my eyes watching the skies. The scene changes there regularly. Most days have involved big puffy cumulus clouds moving across the sky, generally so slowly that I had to stand still to ascertain the direction they were heading. One afternoon there were huge cumulonimbus formations with very dark flat bottoms. Thunderstorm risk was high, but nothing transpired that day.  While out walking on errands, I kept looking in all directions and the sky was so blue with out any type of cloud present. I was able to see the full moon that evening. For a couple of weeks, the evenings and overnights have had cloud cover, so seeing the night sky has been rare. Today we had a lot of clouds moving across the sky. Changes moved from a mostly blue sky to scattered white cumulus clouds with much blue sky in between and back to mostly blue sky. Within an hour, there were more clouds than earlier with far fewer blue sky patches. Just before dusk, the clouds were closer together with patches where the light behind them could be seen, yet the leading edge of this grouping had changed to lower hanging grey cover with no discernible individual clouds. Thus begins another cloudy night, I guess. The most interesting sky was yesterday when the jet contrails remained for a long time becomeing huge and wide -- almost cloud like. I smiled when I saw these lines playing connect the dots with the puffy clouds.

I've always found skies interesting to monitor. The trick becomes balancing the time spent watching the sky and the time watching where I'm walking. <smile> Coming from Saskatchewan, Land of the Living Skies, it is no wonder that I occupy myself with this pastime. I've watched meteor showers and many different storms move across the sky. Northern lights -- aurora borealis -- shone white and green the times I've seen these on the prairie. Also common to the prairies, I've witnessed many funnel clouds in the sky and on the ground. Those are just plain scary, much like the shelf clouds and rolling horizontal cigar shaped clouds associated with major summer wind storms. The sky can tell us a lot about the weather on any day. We just have to remember to look up.

Perhaps when we look up we should stop rather than continuing the forward trajectory. that would stop us from tripping or walking into something. Having our heads in the clouds can be relaxing if done safely <smile>. That made me think of a song by a rock superstar in his later solo career. Enjoy!

Feet in the Clouds -- Paul McCartney




No comments:

Post a Comment