Friday 5 November 2021

Day 8 - 307 -- Descent into Cool

Today was a day of meetings -- two online, one in person. When I was outside walking to the meeting this afternoon,  the air felt very chilly.  We are in for a couple more days of these cold single digit temps and frost advisories over night. My first clue that outside was cold was when the baseboard heater in the bathroom was on when I got up today. So, heating has begun. Now it is November, so perhaps I shouldn't be as disappointed. My thin gloves will need to be doubled up or I move onto medium weight gloves. 

Preparing for colder weather is not high on my 'like' list. Cooler temperatures of fall and spring can be managed, but as things get far cooler, I begin to feel off. Winter impedes ability to get around. Icy walk ways and roads make travel difficult -- even in town. The next 6 weeks will bring earlier sunsets and later sunrises. The darkness can feel oppressive. Sunny days will bring moments of sparkling snow, when it appears that we are walking on diamond dust. That is cool. This time of year also brings congregating crows at the end of the day. Listening to them will sound like friends gathered to laugh and commiserate over the events of the day. I enjoy these parts of winter. Also, in this part of the country we have a good three months of wintry weather, whereas on the prairies where I lived most of my life, there is closer to six months. So, it isn't all bad. <smile> 

A few lines of lyric from an older song came to mind today. especially when I added another blanket at bedtime <smile>. Leaves were gathered and removed from the front yard, so this seemed to fit so well. Love the amazing harmonies. <smile> Stay safe. Enjoy! 

California Dreamin' -- The Mamas and the Papas



No comments:

Post a Comment