Wednesday 10 November 2021

Day 8 - 313 -- Abysmal Explanations

It felt cooler and was much greyer than the past few days. Rain didn't start in earnest until mid-afternoon as I headed out to an appointment to install winter tires on the vehicle.  When I was about to head home, the car dash message centre told me the two front tires were below ideal pressure. I headed inside again and got some story about the rotation of the tires confusing the computer since it needed time to figure out that the back tires are now on the front. I so wish this person would tell me exactly what is happening instead of trying to dumb it down for this feeble female <grump>. I tried to ask about where the sensors were and why they wouldn't pick this up. All that came back was that it took time for the computer to clear its memory for the tires that had been there before. It did clear after a short drive home. I just wanted to be treated like an intelligent human. Others at the service centre do not do this, but the head person seems bent on explaining to a three year old. <sigh> Not sure who to lodge the complaint with. I may have to speak to the female who had been in charge before the pandemic and is now the assistant. 

I've had difficulties since forever when taking cars for servicing. I come from a family of mechanics. My grandfather worked his whole adult life repairing cars. My father and brother did all their own basic car care. My brother even replaced the engine in an antique truck which required making a lot of parts that simply were no longer available, including engine mounts. I spent a lot of time with these men from childhood into adulthood, so know a bit more than basics. As vehicles have become more computerized, it has been challenging to understand how things operate now. Someone who will take a moment to explain clearly is much appreciated. This is another thing for me to work on -- how can I ask for an explanation while noting that they can explain in adult terms? <smile> 

The song for today comes from an historic event that occurred on this day 46 years ago -- the sinking of the Edmund Fitzgerald in Lake Superior. The ballad shared here was written by a Canadian troubadour. Keep safe. Enjoy!

The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald -- Gordon Lightfoot


 


No comments:

Post a Comment