Tuesday 2 November 2021

Day 8 - 305 -- How much?

There was a cloudy start and end to day, but several wonderful hours of sunshine in the middle. Temperatures were warm with hardly any breeze. I chatted with a friend which brought some good laughs. the, I headed to the grocery store for a large stock up trip. I didn't even look at the total, just tapped my card and moved on. <sigh> There was a new cashier so she didn't state the total amount, either. I  looked when I got home and it was less than expected -- only $85 <sigh>. I looked for less expensive options where multiple varieties were available. I took advantage of sale prices as much as possible. I bought items where loyalty points were available, thus reducing the cost indirectly since points can be redeemed as cash for future purchases.  

In the earlier phone visit with a friend, we discussed the impact of supply chain issues, fuel costs and inflation on food prices. Lower income families had been struggling before the pandemic. The cost increases at the grocery store will now affect middle income households. This will be a long difficult winter for many people not only due to the rising cost of food, but also increases to fuel and heating costs. Recent data revealed that food bank usage had increased by 20% during the pandemic. That is a startling statistic. We also have far more kids under-18 years old living in poverty than we had a few years back. 

The song shared today really fits the broader conversation. Keep safe. Enjoy! 

Inflation Blues -- B. B. King



No comments:

Post a Comment