Sunday 5 October 2014

Day 278 -- music -- an aid to the hermeneutics of life

Just when you think the world won't change, something happens to give you hope. It could be a kindness from a stranger or a 'just because' note from friends or family. I also find those small moments of hope in song lyrics, poetry and books. I've come to believe that it is the small things that lend hope that the larger things may someday change. Granted, the big things can't change overnight, but they can change.

The small things do make a difference. Individuals and small groups wield inordinate power, often without recognizing so. I often talk about the power of one -- it can be that small pebble in the pond that has far-reaching ripples. Each of us can make a difference -- alone or as part of a collective. Sharing those feelings and ideas can help others understand their actions have meanings and consequences.

Today I had a song line running through my head that reflects the basic reason I write this blog -- music helps me to contextualize the world -- the hermeneutic process of sense making within our surround.. With music, I hope to rise above the 'noise' and 'hurt'. This song is a tribute to a punk rocker and brings with it some of the elements of that genre. It also notes the impact that one singer had on others. Enjoy!

The Miracle (of Joey Ramone) -- U2




No comments:

Post a Comment