Sunday 19 October 2014

Day 292 -- joys of fruits and vegetables

This Sunday I baked something for the first time in over a week -- a wonderful blueberry crisp with oatmeal and wheat bran topping. I so love blueberries and when they grow all around town, getting local fresh ones in the summer is amazing. I eat a lot fresh when they are in season, but I also freeze many for use during the rest of the year. So -- today's crisp was just blueberries, but I do love to mix them with raspberries for a fantastic flavour change to both fruits.

I also ordered some Chinese take out today. Still not strong enough to stand for the full meal cooking that usually happens on Sunday. So the take out will help me begin to get some veggies back into the diet as I recover. The grains, milk, cheese and eggs of the past several days need to be gently nudged back to the healthier balanced diet I enjoy.  The take out will last a couple of days hopefully when I'll feel strong enough to take on the mega-walking needed to do the grocery store. <sigh> The things we take for granted, eh?

Today the selection deals with the excitement of moving to a more varied menu and taste palate. The title made me giggle as making and consuming these delights really was a high point for me -- Food is My Life [tm] -- for those who haven't heard that yet <smile>. So, when I don't feel like eating much when under the weather, I really do miss it. I love this singer and his piano -- even though the main piano was destroyed during Katrina and Rita. A flood destroyed my piano, too -- so that is a pain we have in common. Enjoy!

Blueberry Hill -- Fats Domino


No comments:

Post a Comment