Friday 31 October 2014

Day 304 -- Hallowe'en

Halloween -- All Hallows Eve -- the day some of the new world sends children out to 'beg' for treats from strangers <smile>. It isn't one of my favourite days. I do have friends who love this day and decorate their houses and yards in 'phantasmagoric splendor'  In a city I lived in years ago, the next door neighbour went all out -- creepy music, graves with opening caskets and moving bodies. Little kids were terrified and parents had to go in alone for the treats. It was a happening place every October 31st.

I currently live about 100 feet from the street -- and it is a street where few children frequent on this day. The long dark driveway could be creepy or simply inefficient use of time. So -- in many years, I've only ever had 2 visitors. On the other side of the back fence lies an old graveyard. The most recent burial that I can discern from the fading headstones is 1875. Most headstones have been taken down and placed in a semi-circle on the ground behind my house. I expect this has been deconsecrated -- it is on diocese land.  It looks like a park of sorts, until you look closely <smile>. They are the quiet neighbours. <grin>

I have two selections for today. I couldn't choose one over the other. They are different and yet seem to fit the day. The first is by a singer that is father to a musical dynasty (his former wife a musician too). The lyrics fit the place I live now.  The second is older and always made me smile. When my mother taught microbiology to nursing students at home, they played this song as 'her' theme at a year end event. Enjoy!

The Graveyard -- Louden Wainwright, III



The Monster Mash -- Bobby 'Boris' Picket and the Cryptkickers


No comments:

Post a Comment