Wednesday 29 October 2014

Day 302 -- A day for cats

Today is National Cat Day -- or so they told me on Canada AM this morning <smile>. A majestic beast, the cat. No two are exactly alike -- like snowflakes or <gasp> people.  I have lived with a cat since I was a toddler. Generally one at a time, except for Tiger and her three babes. Their personalities were different as were their markings, though most were very different colour patterns. The variety of coat colours and patterns occur due to the fantastic genetic aspects of multiple alleles. Many hairs of patterned cats (dots or stripes) have 3, 4 or more colours in stripes on each hair. Genetically complex stuff. Even cloning a cat would never result in an exact replica, as seems to be common misconception. While genetically identical, it is highly likely that the coat pattern would be entirely different. Cool, eh?

While I am a 'cat person' I love all animals. I just understand the mind of cat much better than any other. I've never lived with another type of companion animal. They may be able to sense this in some way, as I've often had cats come running out to speak to me as I walk by their abode.It begins with mewing and purposeful trotting over to me in a friendly posture rather than a cautious or attack posture, or a Timmy-down-the-well franticness. We stand and chat for a moment and then they head back from whence they came. These are cats that I have not seen before and often never see again, even though I walk the same route many times. Interesting. I think of it as a gift from one species to another.

So in honour of all the cats I have lived with, known well or met in passing, today's selection tells the story of a magical cat. Enjoy!

Magical Mister Mistoffelees -- Original London Cast of CATS


No comments:

Post a Comment