Wednesday 4 February 2015

Day 2-35 -- Disruptors to routine abound

Disrupt -- defined as "to throw into confusion or disorder," "to interrupt or impede progress" or "to break apart or alter so as to prevent normal or expected functioning." (The Free Dictionary).

Trying to maintain the regular daily pattern has become difficult. The repetitive stormy weather has been disorienting. Having 'snow days' during the early part of the week has left us challenged to know what day it is today. The disruption to the routine of classes and labs has left many people in a type of daze. Added physical stress from getting around town and campus and moving snow and ice may be the reason behind the exhaustion visible in faces of people seen at work. Mental stresses from the relentless string of storms lining up across the continent to wreak havoc on the east coast is trying.

Today I realized how difficult the past three weeks have been. Knowing that there is always something looming creates constant feelings of anxiety. The physical activity of walking through snow and ice and trying to remove enough to make a walking path is not only tiring, but it takes time out of one's schedule. I also realized today that the whole process has been isolating.  I generally get out to the grocery store and other vendors weekly. With the storms and colder weather I tend not to drive, so don't frequent my usual haunts. The office is the only place where I see other people. Even when walking this week, I haven't really seen anyone else. There are many others out walking rather than driving, but my head is down as I try to navigate the nastiness frozen to the ground. Doing so means that I don't look up and around as I usually do, so I don't see other people or things as is natural. Exhaustion, isolation, stress -- all major disruptors of life's rhythms caused by weather disruptions.  Hmmm --  I may have to call a taxi to go to the mall and get out among the people <grin>.

The title of a song came to the front of my mind today -- it described what I am feeling perfectly.  It is a fun little song with interesting visuals and instrumentation. Enjoy!

Complicated Rhythms -- Bella Ruse

No comments:

Post a Comment