Sunday 8 February 2015

Day 2-39 -- Escape Routes

Time went by too quickly today.  The 'to do' list wasn't completed. Almost, but not fully finished. The grading was finally done in early evening. The shovelling of the last of the snow-filled areas from the last storm of the week was completed today, which ate into the time for the regular Sunday activities.

In the bright sunshine early this afternoon, I shovelled a path alongside the house and then tackled the huge drift up the back stairs. The basement door was cleared, too.  I've often felt stressed when there was only one exit from the house.  As of mid-afternoon, I had all three escape routes open should the need arise.  The remaining snow duties involved clearing the huge drift off the front of the car and shovelling that debris onto the growing piles at the side of the walkway.  The car started with no hesitation and with a bit of rocking it moved backwards about 2 feet.  I hate leaving the car sitting in the same spot when there is ice and potential melting.  It is unpleasant to have it sink into the slush and then freeze to the ground. The sidewalk plow cleared a path earlier today and did not refill my driveway. <smile>  So -- I now have a way out of the driveway, too.  You'd almost think I was planning on escaping somewhere <grin> -- heading through the furrows of walkways.

While shovelling, I reflected on these small escape routes and pathways used by the neighbourhood. That led me to pondering the underground railroad that had end points within Nova Scotia. Those were elaborately planned routes that used musical signals to travellers.  Music played a major role in the freedom trails. Today, in honour of Black History Month and African Heritage Month, I share a song about the many people involved in travelling and assisting people wishing to escape the slave trade.

The Ballad of the Underground Railroad -- by Boyer-Alexander -- sung by Armstrong School


No comments:

Post a Comment