Saturday 14 February 2015

Day 2-45 -- For the Love of Hockey

St.Valentine's Day is today. It is a non-event for many of us.  I wish people happy Valentine's day and even send a card or two.  Other people I spoke to didn't have anything major planned for the day either. Some noted they'd be home watching a movie -- waiting for that next storm to arrive overnight perhaps <smile>.

Another event today is seeing a lot more action -- Hockey Day in Canada - though an unofficial designation. Saturday night has been hockey night in Canada since the original 6 -- those pre-expansion days when one knew every player of every team. Today games involved all 7 of the Canadian teams -- Leafs, Habs, Sens, Jets, Oilers, Flames, & Canucks. This past week there have been many events across the country including the International Pond Hockey tournament in New Brunswick.  I understand hockey and can follow a game, I am a Canadian after all; yet it isn't my favourite sport so I don't follow it with weekly fervour. I do know who is in the playoffs as they work their way down to only two teams that will meet in the Stanley Cup. I do have a favourite team, the same one since the days of Jean Beliveau. 'Nuff said. <smile> I've been to an NHL game complete with two overtime periods and sat right behind the glass on the blue line. It was an exciting evening. I also enjoy women's hockey, but see this less often.

So for those who love hockey and are celebrating Valentine's Day with the multiple games today, I share a song -- a truly Canadian song from the lyrics to the singer-songwriter. Enjoy!

The Hockey Song --Stompin' Tom Conners


No comments:

Post a Comment