Tuesday 10 February 2015

Day 2-41 -- Paying tribute to a musical icon

Yesterday saw the 73rd birthday of Carole King. In the past, this blog has featured songs of Carole King and Gerry Goffin -- a song writing power duo of the 1960s -- the hit songs recorded by King and many others. These songs stand the test of time. Some are fun and somewhat frivolous while others made bold statements or presented deep thoughts.  I will admit that the melodies often grabbed my attention, while the lyrics seemed inviting and often said what I felt or thought as a youth. The fact that many of the recordings had a keyboard playing a key riff or background caught my attention, since that was the instrument that I played. A look at my iPod and my CD collection shows many albums that feature songs written by this duo and by King herself.  So, it is no surprise that I find myself drawn to her songs regardless if the original hit recording or a cover. So many singers and groups have recorded from this prolific song collection, it is very easy to find a multitude of songs without much effort. The effort comes at having to pare down the list to share here today <smile>.

I have settled on three songs to share today -- a very difficult task, but a wonderful chance to revisit so many favourites.  The first presented a song that was distinctly from a female perspective sung by a powerhouse. The second is a cover by an early group new to the pop scene in the early '60s. This one was one of the first roles as lead vocalist for one group member in a group dominated by two other key leads.  The last for today still is a favourite of mine in all its iterations, but I'm going with the early recording with the fresh young vocals for today.  Enjoy!

You make me feel (like a natural woman) -- Aretha Franklin



Chains -- The Beatles (with George Harrison as lead vocalist)



Some time in the Morning -- The Monkees


No comments:

Post a Comment