Monday 13 April 2015

Day 2-103 -- Spring all around

What a glorious day!  Amazing sunshine all day with some southerly wind that made a light jacket necessary. The sun was melting ice and snow and the wind helped to dry some patches of water and mud just a bit.  The patch of dirt along my walkway is much larger than it was this morning. There were small -- and they are small -- areas of ground and cement becoming visible by early evening. I'm expecting things will progress further throughout the week. There is to be cloud and a small bit of rain, so less sun to warm the frozen parts of the world, but it will still help to wash away the mountain of ice in my front yard.

Spring smells different. The scent of wet soil is key to that odour. We do have some of that appearing. I'm not sure the crocuses will bloom this year, but as I say, never say never. <smile>.  I am missing those and the periwinkles and snow drops that are generally almost over by now. The rivers have been doing well with the slower melt, so little in the way of flood watches to date. All is good. <smile>  I like spring -- many people find it muddy and dirty and just want summer to appear early. I like seeing the earth reappear, plants emerging and trees budding -- all the rebirth metaphors. It means a bit more cleaning of mud splashes but that is part of the experience.

Today's song speaks to the changes evident at this time of year. The title shows we may be a bit behind schedule, but the process is the same. The lyrics say a lot and the rhythm reflects the upbeat feeling I've had today with the sun and melting. The version chosen features the songwriter. Enjoy!

Waters of March (Aguas de marco) -- Antonio Carlos Jobim



No comments:

Post a Comment