Wednesday 29 April 2015

Day 2-119 -- Fretful Aspects to the Day

Many items intruded today causing varying degrees of anxiety -- mainly because these things were outside of my control. Some of the issues resolved during the course of the day and into the evening. Others are still in the wind.

I've always been one to fret about things. I haven't considered myself a control freak, but things outside of my control can cause anxiety and worry. The current trend is to tell people not to sweat the small stuff. I find the phrase irritating as what may seem small to one person may be a major disruption in the life of another person. If it is likely to have an effect on you that could be negative, why shouldn't you feel concerned? Part of the 'fretting' may prepare someone for all eventualities. As I told someone earlier in the week, I was a Girl Guide and 'be prepared' was our motto <smile>. Some people are more able to internalize the worry so it isn't as apparent. I've tried that and do it to some degree, but talking through things can also help me. It depends on the concern at hand whether I will share or not. Really scary things are more difficult to articulate, it seems. 

While working away at the pile of papers on my desk a song came on the iPod that helped me to look at the issues of today from a different angle. It is one that often makes me smile and it did again this afternoon. The version shared here is from the early career of the singer-songwriter -- a woman with a powerful voice that comes through well in this song. It comes from the heyday of early rock 'n' roll -- those heady days when many struggling folk artists (soon to be greats) sang on Bleeker Street at the Bitter End in NYC. This is a definite anthem for those fretful days. Enjoy! 

Wild Women -- The Big Three (Cass Elliot, Tim Rose, James Hendricks) 

[Folk-rock history lesson of the day <smile> This group morphed into the Mugwumps with Elliot and Rose  being joined by Denny Doherty, Zal Yanovsky and John Sebastian. After a short time this second group split with Rose going his own way, Elliot and Doherty moving to form The Mamas and The Papas, and Yanovsky and Sebastian founding The Lovin' Spoonful. For any inveterate score keepers Yanovsky and Doherty were Canadian artists. <smile>]


No comments:

Post a Comment