Sunday 26 April 2015

Day 2-116 -- Dreaded April Tax Tasks

I spent the afternoon working on the dreaded income tax forms. I do use a software package to do calculations and help with some of the more cryptic calculations necessary. However, I do still file on paper. Much as I try to do things in a more paperless way, this is one where I don't want to switch. Several years ago, an error had occurred when the tax office was entering information from my paper submission. Had this been an online submission, it would have been a much longer process to get the error corrected -- if it would have occurred at all. It took several months to get to the right person who could go 'downstairs' and retrieve the paper copy and review the tax slips submitted, which showed one slip had been added twice at their end and I was being charged interest on a daily basis and receiving less than pleasant letters. <smile>  It all worked out correctly in the end, but I still hesitate to use an e-file system. Once burned, twice shy perhaps <smile>.

I'm not complaining about the taxation system, just that the process of completing the return forms can be somewhat intimidating -- not very literacy or numeracy friendly. I'm pleased that there are many people who will provide free assistance for those who need it. I expect as my return becomes more involved, I may choose to move the job to an accounting person.

Only one song came to mind today <grin>.  Enjoy!

Taxman -- The Beatles


No comments:

Post a Comment