Sunday 5 April 2015

Day 2 - 95 -- Outside the Norm

I've always considered myself a non-conformist. Much as I admire friends and family who have served in the military, I strongly suspect that I wouldn't have lasted long before running into insubordination. I don't take kindly to orders that I don't understand. Following blindly doesn't work for me. Ever since I was a kid, 'why' has been my main question. This question helps me understand the world around me and prepare to do the best job possible because I know 'why' I'm doing it. Recognizing the goal of an action helps me to work through it. Sadly, asking 'why' seems to frustrate people. It is often perceived as a challenge to their decision, even though that isn't the reason behind my question. Now not all requested actions allow the time for explanation -- emergencies for example. But in those cases, the reasoning behind the action is clearer. However, knowing the logical thought processes for non-emergent requests really helps me to understand.

Perhaps, being logical can be a curse <smile>. It seems that not all people think the way I do -- not a problem, but in my attempt to understand their thought processes, they often choose not to see mine. Others often label me obstreperous -- again, not my intent. Explaining my need to understand seems only to further muddy the waters. So, I find myself sitting without speaking when there are really so many things I'd like to say, ask or even add to a conversation. This silence also creates frustration in some individuals. Seems it is impossible to please people <grin>. The crux of the matter may be about power and how it is used. Opposing or questioning such power imbalances can create negative labels and misunderstandings on all sides.

The selection for today discusses being outside the mainstream. This difference isn't better or worse, it is just different. This song is from a musical that addresses issues of power and struggles. Enjoy!

Defying Gravity -- Idina Menzel






No comments:

Post a Comment