Monday 11 April 2016

Day 3 - 102 -- Invisibility

Ever wish you could wear a cloak of invisibility like the one from Harry Potter or  be able to make yourself invisible at will like the character on Soap (at least in your own mind <grin>)? It is a feeling I've had at times, often when there is already too much on my desk and someone tracks me down to add more to the piles. Today was one of those days. If I could blend into the background more, there would be no need to feel the desire to hide.

I've encountered this feeling when in large cities where anonymity is the norm. There are pros and cons to that, but there are days when being by myself in a crowd is a pleasant feeling. After living in a small town of 5000 people (plus 4500 students Sept through April), seeing familiar people wherever I go is also comforting. When I needed assistance, I knew there weree many people close by to help -- physically or emotionally. There are some places to 'hide' but often one is found unexpectedly -- like at course registration or final exam times when students stop you at the mall or on the street for assistance.  Again, this is not all intrusive. It is positive that students feel comfortable approaching you other than in your office. I've learned to expect encounters rather than be surprised by them, as I was when I first moved here from only city living.

There are, though, still many days or times when being invisible would be of benefit. I laughed when I thought of this song today. It is from a Broadway show and is performed by a favourite singer of mine since almost forever <smile>. Enjoy!

Mr. Cellophane -- Micky Dolenz


No comments:

Post a Comment