Sunday 24 April 2016

Day 3 - 115 -- Opening for Closure

The day was filled with catching up on errands around the house. I worked at taxes, household accounts and cleaning chores. There were a few boxes that had arrived from my mother's apartment that needed to be unpacked and places found for the contents. Many of these items have some practical uses, so found homes readily. Others need some thought before they are placed in just the right spot -- these include the artwork for walls and shelves. Mom often changed items on display with the seasons -- that may be worth a try.

While unpacking the boxes, waves of nostalgia washed over me and then retreated only to return again. I have broken up the unpacking for this very reason. It is emotionally draining -- smiles and tears. Today was earmarked as the final day for this job. There will be some revisiting of the photos and scrapbook materials at a later date, but today was the day to move the practical things and artwork somewhere where they can be used or seen. Most of this will be placed over the next week, but things are out of the cardboard travel cases now. The memories held in these few items are pleasant -- the gorgeous prints and photos that adorned the walls of the house where I grew up and then Mom's apartments. Many of the ornaments show the love of travel, cultures, and local artists. I did not bring everything back with me <smile> only a selection of some of my favourites. Still, finding appropriate homes for the items will take some thought.

The nostalgia and anxiety of unpacking things that belonged to my mother, brought some music to mind. What I chose to share is a song about trying to find the closure and reduce anxiety of loss of that sense of home. Enjoy!

The House that Built Me -- Miranda Lambert


No comments:

Post a Comment