Monday 18 April 2016

Day 3 - 109 -- Miscommunication

I've been reading exams and papers for some time now and I'm always taken by surprise by a word choice. To be truthful, these are mis-choices -- often from choosing an incorrect word from the spell checker. There are many commonly misused terms and words, but it is the uncommon ones that grab one's attention. One that shows up more often than it should is when mistyping the word 'definitely' people choose from the drop-down box 'defiantly.'  The first time I saw this, I did laugh. In any sentence, this interchanged word definitely changes the meaning. Just think -- defiantly changes the meaning. <smile>.  One that I saw for the first time recently, was in a reference to visual materials for use in counseling. When noting the intensity of the colour, the paper stated the use of 'mutated' colours. I'm sure this was a spell check error. These are so similar to autofill errors that change meaning in major ways.

Pondering this made me think of the many misheard song lyrics. My favourite has always been the line from Jimi Hendrix and Purple Haze -- 'Excuse me while I kiss the sky,' which has been infamously misheard as, 'Excuse me while I kiss this guy.'  A true change in meaning there. I heard a recording recently where the singer spoke about a song from his youth. I'll let him explain the lyric mix up in his own musical way. Enjoy!

But not for Me -- Micky Dolenz

No comments:

Post a Comment