Thursday 14 April 2016

Day 3 - 105 -- Technologically Inept

The day began with a workman repairing the crack in the foundation. Looks good from my unskilled viewpoint. Hopefully the rest of the basement can be put back in order soon. Several errands were completed on campus and then I returned home to bury myself in grading for 6 hours.  I chose to stop for the day at that point since my brain was going mushy and my attitude was getting cranky. <smile>  I will work away at the pile again tomorrow. This is the smaller group -- only 42 in this pile. Next week will see the arrival of 98 from the other course.

I tried to print some pdf documents so that I could work on another report due as soon as I can get it submitted. Each time I tried to print one of them, the screen froze and I had to shut down with the power button. While extremely odd, this was totally irritating. I was in a hurry after all, and the computer would not cooperate. I delivered another report and chatted about my irritation to an admin assistant who tried to print it for me -- only to have the same freeze occur. I said it was just me standing too close to her machine <smile>.  Luckily I was on my way to IT for two other errands, so I asked them if they'd heard any complaints from anyone. She hadn't so she logged the call for me. We'll see if there is an answer or if this is just another of the 'that shouldn't happen' events with no explanation available.

I had an overwhelming feeling of being inept with basic technology today mixed with some betrayal. While I can feel geekish most days, this was not one of them. Feeling let down by a machine was also a bit weird <smile>.  I laughed as I heard a line from a song in my head. I laughed again when I thought back to a song I posted earlier this week about running in circles. Today's song is a variation on that theme. It makes me smile and reminds me of the concert I went to about the time this album was released. Enjoy!

Hip to be Square -- Huey Lewis and the News


No comments:

Post a Comment