Thursday 7 April 2016

Day 3 - 98 -- Crazy Wind

Errands was the word of the day. I had many things that had been left for several weeks and now needed to be addressed -- made big groceries, got CO2 refill for carbonator, made health appointments, filled car with gas, exam #1 to printer and stop at the bank. A time was set for the foundation crack fix next week. All in all, it seemed a productive day.

The only impediment was the wind. A strong breeze was present when I did the walking portion of the errands on Main Street. By the time I headed out with the car it was crazy wind. My jeans flapped around my legs as I stood to fill the gas tank -- and so did everyone else's. When I walked to the car with a cart of groceries, the wind blew the cart almost out of my hands. I had to stick my leg between the cart and the car to avoid a major damage. While transferring one heavy bag to the trunk, the wind thought it would be better left outside the car -- it was a struggle, but all bags were added to the back and the lift gate was successfully closed. Pushing the cart back to the corral was just silly. Heading into the wind made me feel like a mime -- walking but not really moving forward. Driving was even challenging as the gust made steering difficult -- so glad the roads were dry and clear -- ice would have been a nightmare today. It was difficult to determine exactly from which direction the wind was blowing -- it seemed to hit me and the car from all directions at once.

A song from the dim distant past came to mind mainly for the way it described the wind as strong. The version I'm sharing here is by a wonderful Canadian folk duo -- when they were young and just beginning long musical careers. The harmonies are classic. Enjoy!

Four Strong Winds -- Ian and Sylvia


No comments:

Post a Comment