Tuesday 26 April 2016

Day 3 - 117 -- Losing Things or Losing It

Over the past few days, there has been a constant trail of lost items. Maybe misplaced would be a better word, at least that sounds less permanent. Moments of panic have ensued, when it felt that things were lost to me forever. These are odd items -- a credit card statement that was there and then it wasn't; an article of clothing of some sentimental value; and a credit card -- to name just three of these items. Each reappeared in places that had been thoroughly searched. The statement appeared on top of a pile of papers to which it belonged -- right where it should have been but wasn't when I looked there repeatedly. The card was under a car seat where I had searched several times -- getting the flashlight and looking from the backseat made this appear in front of my eyes. The clothing had been packed, but not where I'd expected it to be -- it was found when I looked in a very unexpected place that hadn't even crossed my mind until I was sitting on the floor wondering how I could misplace/mis-pack this one item.

I mentioned this at supper tonight and a friend said it reminded her of the book series from childhood -- The Borrowers. I did love those stories -- wonderful stories about a family of tiny people who lived in attics and walls and borrowed items from the house owners. I said I liked this thought better than poltergeist that I'd imagined <smile>. For each item when I was near panic or totally giving up, it was as if someone suggested to me that I look somewhere else or look from a different angle -- like a voice whispering to me -- definitely interesting. It is difficult when things that one needs go missing. Backtracking all through the times and places that you used or handled the item can help or can lead you on a wild goose chase. Finding the item right where you had already looked makes me wonder why I didn't see the item even when I'd handled it. I'm going to put this down to extreme fatigue and major multi-tasking demands thrust upon me (and scientific evidence supports our inability to multi-task at any age). I find these explanations easier to deal with than losing my mind entirely.

The song chosen for today has a beautiful melody. The evocative lyrics address the aspect of loss and the mental distress it can present, particularly the last verse. Enjoy!

Lost -- Michael Buble

No comments:

Post a Comment