Saturday 2 April 2016

Day 3 - 93 -- Ongoing Repetitive Task

Today was a tough day. I woke before I'd hoped to and worked throughout the day. A bit of laundry, but most of the work was grading. It took hours to get through a third of the papers. I'm not sure why they are as long as they are or why I am reading as slow as I am. All I know is that tomorrow the whole process needs to be repeated so that the assignments can be returned before the end of classes. Generally there are two weeks allowed to return these, but this one is less than that due t my being away. Sometime in the next day, the final exam format has to be considered. This will need to be talked about in class Monday, too.

Grading can be interesting. Often the insights of the writers can be intriguing. It is the sheer amount and the limited time that taint the joy of understanding what has been learned. That is unfortunate. It turns the task into work -- something to dislike and see as an enemy rather than something that can show the accomplishments of all involved.

While feeling buried beneath a mountain of papers, several songs came to mind. I share one here that carries the feeling of forced drudgery that often accompanies this repetitive process.  Enjoy!

Look Down -- Les Miserables



No comments:

Post a Comment