Tuesday 19 April 2016

Day 3 - 110 -- Moving Day

This time of year on campus reminds me of years ago. It is filled with smiling faces and happy voices. As I drove around yesterday and today, there are cars being filled as people move out of residences. It is a non-stop process -- like ants scurrying about in a long, seemingly unending line. As I walked in from the far parking lot today, I encountered a large gathering of people and suitcases waiting for the bus. Many students were saying good-bye to each other until fall -- a touching scene. Others were anxious to get the journey started. The bus lines bring in two buses for each run for days such as this. So much activity leaves the quieter feeling of summer on campus in  its wake. Our President posted a photo with this sentiment yesterday, and it was featured on the national morning show segment on 'things found on social media today.'

The memories these activities bring are so real I can almost touch them. Little has changed over the years, except friends can stay connected electronically so much better than we ever could with just land lines. <smile>  My dad would move me up and back to Saskatoon every fall and spring. The items to pack and move grew incrementally each year. I still laugh when I recall our last trip home after finishing the degree program. We filled the trunk and back seat of the Plymouth Fury -- a big boat of a vehicle. Dad was an expert packer. It was like a 3-D puzzle for him. We got it all loaded, had some supper and then headed home. It was dark shortly after we began the 2.5 hour journey. Oncoming cars began flipping their lights at us. When I asked why they kept doing this, Dad explained that they thought he had the high beams on, when he didn't. We were so weighted down in the back end, that the headlights pointed much higher than usual -- we were lighting up the sky it seemed. <smile> We had a good giggle over that and I can still smile or even laugh when thinking about this.

As all students are busy packing and moving, I heard one line run through my head, silly as it may seem. It makes me giggle, too. <g>  Enjoy!

I Like to Move It -- Madagascar movie


No comments:

Post a Comment