Tuesday 18 April 2017

Day 4 - 108 -- Routine, Humdrum, Passionless

Up way to early today, but had to get into the office to make tea and then trundle me and the big box of exams across campus to set up the exam in the 'gym' -- in quotations as we were using the hockey arena (sans ice) this year as the gym is being refurbished. I was so tired all day. I got home and ate supper earlier than usual. I then finished a review that is due this week, since the rest of my week will involve exams. As of tomorrow there are 140 from two courses with another 140 arriving a week from today. Only 6-8 of these area graduating students with earlier grade entry deadlines.

During a meeting this afternoon, I found it difficult to carry on a conversation -- especially to begin a topic. Later this evening, I came upon the descriptive word for what I've felt all day -- uninspired. I believe that it is usual to feel this way every once in a while, so I won't pull the alarm just yet <smile>. There is simply so much to do in the next 2-1/2 weeks, that it is difficult to get 'up' and into the groove to tackle things that are not always rewarding and may, in fact, be very tortuous. Its just this time of year in academia, yet that doesn't really make things appear better.

All of this thought brought a single song to my mind. The lyrics describe how I'm feeling, well the 'before' descriptions not the 'after' ones. <smile> There are several wonderful covers of this song, but I often find myself back with the original in my head. Yet, when choosing the video for today, I chose the same voice from a different time point. This performance brings tears and not just from me, as is clearly seen at the theatre. The song has always been an emotional one, but this performance is the pinnacle. I hope this is a key to peace of mind. Enjoy!

Natural Woman -- Aretha Franklin (from Kennedy Center Honours for Carole King, 2015) {with part of Broadway show 'Beautiful' as an intro]


No comments:

Post a Comment