Saturday 1 April 2017

Day 4 - 91 -- A New Month

A new month began today -- April, a time of year when spring takes hold. The sun shone brightly today, resulting in melting of some of the accumulated snow. There is still  much piled outside my windows, but less than yesterday. The transition from winter to spring continues here. The forecast states to expect two inches of snow overnight. This is quite manageable and won't last long with just a bit of sunshine. Yet, cloud seems to be on tap for the rest of the week, leading into a 15 cm (6 inch) dump of snow on Wednesday and then above freezing and rain by Friday. I will admit that I yelled at the TV when I saw the forecast for Wednesday. As I've said, smaller bits of snow can be dealt with, but larger, disruptive snow falls seem to fill me with something akin to anger these days. That part of the season should be over. I'm holding out for a forecast change, for the better, since this one is still four days away.

The unrelenting hold of big wintry weather is simply oppressive. It is like some claw-like, skeletal hand refuses to yield to the next season -- well, at least not with any speck of grace. It makes me want to just ignore the weather -- refuse to shovel, and only acknowledge this for the 40 minutes I have to travel through it daily. Even then, I'd like to take myself somewhere else while walking -- somewhere that gets me thinking of something other than weather. Maybe if we can be successful at ignoring it, the silly thing will finally let go and give way to the mythical April showers and all that follows.

An odd song seemed to fit my feelings today. While the melody is rather morose, the words do speak to a bit of hope for seasonal change. The version shared today is sung by a voice that is easily identified -- an iconic female singer. Enjoy!

You Must Believe in Spring -- Barbra Streisand


No comments:

Post a Comment