Friday 7 April 2017

Day 4 - 97 -- Another Loss

A gathering of colleagues to celebrate the end of classes ended my day with some laughter and fun. I'm afraid I needed it. Last night I received a phone call telling me that a friend -- no, a family member -- had passed earlier in the day. She was 95. She loved to tell people that she knew me before I was born -- so it is truthful for me to say she has been a part of my life from the very beginning. While she was over 30 years my senior, we could always talk at great length about life. As a high school student, I would call her and we would speak at least once each week for an hour or so. I valued her opinion and sense of humour. Her laugh was amazing.

She traveled with the family to southern California. She had lived in greater LA for several years around the late the '60s. The trip was great fun. When she married after I was in university, she moved to Nova Scotia. We visited one summer and traveled around the province with her. Again, it was a fun time. We were driving through Cape Breton the day we heard the news on the radio that Elvis had died. She was part of many of my life moments. She was still living here when I moved, though her husband had just died and she was living with her sister-in-law. When she was alone again, she moved back home to SK. She was an honourary aunt when I was little and has been part of our family celebrations at major holidays for as long as I can recall. She introduced me to classical music and to traditional ballet -- a major gift. We went to see Gone with the Wind when I was still young. I loved it, but was (and still am) haunted by a couple of the scenes depicting the lack of medical care as I knew it as a child. She had worked in health care and cared for aging family members for much of her adult life.

Her final years were challenging. I believe that she is now at peace and enjoying the freedom she lost later in life. Now she can settle in with a great book and a good cup of tea and simply enjoy.

The selection for today is a classical piece that I've always loved. It feels peaceful. I haven't thought of it as sad, just relaxing and simply beautiful. This one is for her. Enjoy!

Adagio in G Minor -- Albinoni



No comments:

Post a Comment